Simple Bone Broth for Dogs (and Cats)
- 2 kg raw meaty bones ideally joint bones with cartilage (such as poultry wings and legs, beef marrow bones, chuck bones)
- 2 carrots
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar this helps draw the minerals from the bones
- OPTIONAL: Brown meat in a roasting tray in the oven for 1 hour at 175 degrees – this releases the juices
- Add your bones with any juice, veg and vinegar to the slow cooker or crock pot. Fill pot with water so that bones are covered and simmer for 24 hours.
- When Broth is cooked, strain it.
- DO NOT feed hard cooked bones to your dog. If any bones are still hard you can strip the bones of any meat and keep the meat and veg for a meal. Chicken bones will usually be soft enough to eat, but use care.